Verbage
I know I have so much to catch up on from our travels these past 2 months, but I'm toying with the idea of making that a separate blog because we literally have 2,000+ pictures. I don't know yet. I think I just want to keep this blog as a record of our daily life. So, to start that out, here are a few kiwi words I love so far, especially with the New Zealand accent:
- Choice = "It's choice to have you here, mate."
- Sweet As (or anything *as) = I guess the ending of this phrase is just assumed...sweet as anything you could imagine I guess. But everything has an 'as' on the end, for dramatic effect. Windy as, fat as, fast as, mean as, etc, etc.
- Pardon = As in, "I beg your pardon" or "please clarify". Warms the cockles of my heart to hear the youngsters say it rather than "huh?"
- Mummy and Nan
- Daddy and Poppi
- Reckon = "I reckon..."
- Fellas = applies to any gender here, it's more of a way to recognize a group
- Yous = as far as I can tell, it's a combination of You Guys. We're often greeted with "How're yous getting on?"
- Take-Aways = not many sit and eat restaurants here without paying an arm and a leg, just quick grab and go stuff. There are a million take-away places everywhere!
- Cheers = sometimes a "thanks", other times a farewell
- Mobile instead of 'cell' phone
- Petrol instead of gas
- Heaps = a lot, tons, many. And since they talk with their eyebrows here, it's always accompanied by a slight headnod and raised eyebrows.
- Feed = Food, Feast, Let's Eat, etc. As in, "We had a huge feed." or "Let's go get a feed."
- Mate = Friends; applies to guys and girls.
- Mean = Awesomeness. As in, "Oh man, that concert/movie was mean!"
And because I think every post should have a picture with it, here's me at the beach of Mt. Manganui near Tauranga, where we spent a few days before moving into our apartment. The beach had HEAPS of sea shells! I was really missing the little nieces and nephews and knew they would have just loved it there!




9 comments:
mmm... love you heaps!!!
so fun! i love picturing a little kid saying "pardon?" what a fantastic adventure, i'm so glad for you!
That was fascinating and so fun to read. So jealous of all your fun.
wonderful!! thought of you as I watched a NZ commercial on youtube
IF you make a separate blog I want access so I can see all the beauty you are capturing.
LOVE the "verbage" Aly! :) Sounds fun :) I'm so glad you are settling in and having the time of your life :) Makes me happy to hear :)
I love the accents down there. Lucky you to go to the beach while we get snow now.
pardon? the cockles of your heart? ha ha ha! ha ha. ha. oh, mate. hey i totally missed you the other day. i was in a choice staff meeting and it was all i could do to keep my hiney in my chair because i suspected it was you calling in. glad you got to talk to the fellas. keeping the little mates home from church tomorrow, let's skype! btw, thanks for all the blog comments...warmed my cold cockled heart. can you come back now? i hear boston's nice...there's an ocean...
hey! great job with your header. looks fab!
Someone told me to say "Fanny Pack" to people. They like it!! NOOOOOO Just Kidding, I heard that is a WAY bad word!!! HaHa. I kid in my office went there on his mish!
Post a Comment