One, Two, Buckle my shoe..

I got a job. Didn't really need one, but thought it would be good to have something to do. I was getting way too lazy and complacent. And now my feet are paying the price! :)
A new Buckle just opened up at the District (the South Jordan equivalent to Gateway) and my friend Michelle was up from St. George helping to set it up. So she told me to interview and I did. And I got hired on the spot.
The first day I got a promotion to team leader.
The next day I got a pay raise.
And today was opening day and I rocked it! (If I do say so myself.) :) My manager says he thinks I set a record for new sales on an opening day. Probably not, but it felt good to hear.
My feet are numb. For some reason I think I can only wear heels with my jeans and I've been on my feet for the past 72 hours! Sometimes my legs cramp and twitch and I laugh. Maybe I'll start toning up with all of this nonstop running around!
I have fun new clothes. And a list 3 miles long of all of the new clothes I want. I'm just glad I found a job that lets me wear jeans and flip flops and lets me shop on my break! :)
On a different note...These are some of my Young Women. I love them all. They are all so unique. Last night we did an exercise on Individual Worth with them. We've been having what I refer to as a "Mean Girls" problem. Lots of gossiping and back-biting. So our amazing president set up a very spiritual lesson/acitivity for them. Lots of role play and interaction with each other. There was a very strong spirit there and I am so grateful that I got to be a part of it.
One thing I found interesting was that the girls couldn't pick up on the compliments and nice things people were saying to them. It really surprised me that even though there were blatant attempts of others to give away their 'nice quality' on their forehead, the girls still could not guess what was on their forehead! But they were able to pick up on the negative right away.
Anyway, it really made me think about what I hear. I hear Jon give me compliments all the time, but am quick to brush it off. I'm quick to brush off many compliments. So I urged my girls to think about that. What do they hear? What have they been trained to hear? What does our Heavenly Father want us to hear? And start listening, start searching for those positive comments. Start giving them to others. We all have individual worth!
Anyway, it really made me think about what I hear. I hear Jon give me compliments all the time, but am quick to brush it off. I'm quick to brush off many compliments. So I urged my girls to think about that. What do they hear? What have they been trained to hear? What does our Heavenly Father want us to hear? And start listening, start searching for those positive comments. Start giving them to others. We all have individual worth!
WHAT DO YOU HEAR?



13 comments:
What a great activity. I think what I hear is the negative comments in my head that I put on myself. I too should listen more and not brush off the compliments. I try to be positive but sometimes I struggle. Especially with family it is so easy to be polite with others but your own family you tend to leave the politeness out the door.
Congrats on the new job! I know you'll be #1 because you are so personable, outgoing, friendly, and stylish.
Well all this time you've been going into family counceling and you've missed your calling...RETAIL!.....and I hope we're the same size because I NEED that discount on the Big 5 jeans I LOVE them but the $100 price tag is in my way :) I used to have a friend work at buckle and the manager would monitor what size she would buy so they new it wasn't for a family member or friend so to my dismay we were not the same size :(
Well I'm glad you have something to do but I think Jon's going to regret it after his and your paychecks will somehow end up in your closet :)
Glad you're having so much fun with Young Womens that is a calling I think would be so overwhelming but they are lucky to have someone as committed as you are.....wow long comment, guess I had a lot to say today apparently!
Thanks, I needed that. I always have a hard time accepting compliments from my hubby, and always just kind of shrug it off. That is exciting about the new job too. I also would have a huge list of things that I would want~ :)
sounds like a fun job! and i will definitely have to use that yw idea, we have the same problem, wonderful girls who just are awful to each other sometimes. that's a great way to get them thinking and talking about this!
buckle??? when did this happen?? and look at you driving the sale! at buckle do they measure "units per transaction" and "price per unit?" oh helen, god bless the good old days at vicky's where i was brainwashed into working my kiester off for little over minimum wage... the discount was sometimes worth it though. when i'm back into fighting shape, you'll need to help me find the right pair of hug'ems, and depending on the scale, maybe even a bikini... gasp. sounds like fun al!!
my little texas yw's had similar 'mean girls' moments. when i get back i'm gonna suggest this... sounds like a great activity.
Wow, a really thought provoking activity! I'll have to tuck that one away.
I must say I have learned a lot lately about hearing what my Heavenly Father would want me to hear. I think it has a lot to do with how much I invite Him into my life. When you understand that you truly are a daughter of God and that He loves you, that's where true self worth begins.
And can I just say that I LOVE buckle and am jealous of your employee discount!
no wonder i've always wanted to be like you. you are such a great example to me and others around you. and you are always tryin to improve too! and look at all those nice compliments that you've gotten. sure love ya. can't wait to see you soon...
congrats on the job! you little champion you! leading the way and all! :) so i was always so scared to go into that store because i always felt like i was malled by the help... sounds like they like you though. ;)
p.s. you've been tagged. take a look at my blog :)
Congrats on your new job! I'm sure that you are the best employee they have! When I come to Utah, I'm going to have to pay you a visit at the good ol' buckle! I love that store but I haven't been in there forever! And what an awesome YW activity! Hopefully, the girls will remember it forever!
Al, Congrats on the new job. It sounds very very dangerous! I am sure you are awesome at what you do though! I did retail for a while and LOVED it!
Happy Birthday! Wish our paths would have crossed...but I guess we weren't here yet. That is so cool about your new job. Love ya!
Wow! I didn't know you worked at the Buckle! Now I have hookups right? :) That's awesome on your immediate promotion! I bet you do a really good job!
Post a Comment