Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Hey Mama!

My mom not-so-subtly reminded me yesterday that it's time for a new post. I've known this for the last 2 weeks now. I even have a few posts swimming around in my head, just haven't gotten them down yet. I told her there was a good reason - it seems the only thoughts swimming around in the mush-that-used-to-be-my-brain are complaints about pregnancy right now.

And that doesn't seem fair.

Because really I'm grateful.

I've waited 6 years for this, so I really can't complain. And in the back of my mind are always my friends I know pine and hunger for this. So as I morph what would be a complaining post into something better, I keep thinking about things I've learned over the last 7 months. In addition to the things I never expected, here are some things I learned to never say to another pregnant woman:
  • "Wow! You're huge!" Yup. Yep, I am. I feel it every second of every day too. And no, I don't love it. In fact, me and the mirror are verging on becoming best frenemies right now. Thanks for the reminder.
  • "Slow down there..." My cousin Devin said this to me while I was eating a scrumptious dessert at a family picnic for the 24th of July. I didn't think I was scarfing it down, but ever since then I have been so self-conscious about eating in front of people!
  • "You're nursery isn't done yet?!?!" or "You don't have a name yet?!?! I had mine as soon as I found out what we were having!" Congrats to you. I'm seriously impressed. However, I don't roll that way, nor do I think it's all that important. So while you are inredulously blown away at my laid-back-ness, I am blown away by your Type-A-ness. The world needs us both to keep going round and round. :)
I have a feeling this list will probably keep growing and morphing into "Things I learned from labor" or "Things to never say to a new mom", etc. I guess it's time to just let go of what people think or say and realize I'm doing my best and that's okay. Plus, I hear you need pretty thick skin to be a mom, so I guess it's time to put it on.

And for my own record, here are some things I want to remember about being 34 weeks and in my last trimester:
  • It's not so much fun anymore when she moves around. It used to be cute. Now it hurts.
  • I thought I was having a heart attack yesterday because the heartburn got so bad! Not joking. I was crying on the floor trying to decide whether to call Jon or not when the thought came to mind, "you need to calm yourself down. Use your relaxation techniques you've learned for labor and relax. This will be nothing compared to labor!" I was pretty proud of myself for how quickly I was able to calm down and manage my pain.
  • My driver's license should probably be revoked while pregnant. I'm a pretty assertive driver as it is, but mix that with zero patience for stupid drivers and lots of stupid drivers on the road and you get a not so happy Alyson. I don't know why the anger hormones are the ones that seem to surface most during driving, but I'm glad it's not all the time!
  • This baby girl is going to have an agenda all her own, I can tell. She has already lodged herself head down into my pelvic bone, which has caused it to start separating (this happened at 30 weeks!!!) and the cartilage is now rubbing painfully against the bone bringing all sorts of fun sensations {read:pain} down there. She likes to remind me that she knows what she's doing and will come when she's ready!
  • The upside of the pain down there is that, for now, she's low enough that she's not kicking any ribs out of place yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed that that continues.
  • My chin looks like a pepperoni pizza right now. I don't think it's fair that not only do I have 3 chins right now, but I have red and purple spots drawing attention to it.
  • I'm out of clothes to wear now that the weather is cold. I feel like I wear the same thing every day. But I'm so close now that I don't want to buy anything. So I usually end up raiding Jon's side of the closet to see if he has anything I can wear that won't act like a tourniquet on my belly. I have a feeling it might be jeans and his hoodies from here on out.
34 weeks feels so good when you're weightless in a pool!

8 comments:

Heather B said...

I can totally relate to your pregnancy. I was re-reading past posts from my blog and I saw that I started complaining about being uncomfortable at 27 weeks. :) I carry my babies just like you- straight out in front, and I got comments like that too and it stung, even on the second time around. I remember Samuel telling me at 35 weeks that he was pretty sure I couldn't get any bigger. And of course he was wrong. ;) Anyway, it's ok to complain! I always felt a bit better after venting. We love you and are so happy you get to experience the full glory of pregnancy. :)

Abby said...

Oh My gosh .... YOU ARE HUGE!!! You know I can say that because I am HUGE too!! You are so funny and I totally feel for you babe! I am right there with you!

sara and wade said...

mmmwaa! kisses to that perfect belly! we love it! but good luck with the heartburn... mine lasted right up until i had her and then it silently faded away... thank goodness!

Katie said...

The last two months I was taking pepcid every 12 hours, I could feel it come back a little before I could take it again. I feel your pain, and I think you look beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Oh Aly! I totally understand! But hang in there! You look so beautiful pregnant! Just the most radiant glow ever :) I know it's so hard, but you are so right, you have waited long and you totally deserve this little cutie!! I just hope this last part you can be as comfortable as possible my friend! Hang in there! And just slap the stupid people! :P

LeShel said...

34 and BEAUTIFUL! Keep cooking that gorgeous daughter of yours. I agree with the not stressing about the name or the nursery. Seriously, she can sleep in a drawer on the floor if needs be and you have several days in the hospital to finalize a name. You can even leave the hospital and come up with a name later!

Karmann said...

Sweetie, I am sorry that you have had to deal with those that really truly dont understsnd the etiquette of pregnant women and what to say and not to say to them! I think you look GREAT! I love to admire women and their bellies and think I hope someday mine will look JUST LIKE THAT!!! I cant believe how close you are!!! Time has gone by so fast!!! ( well for me hopefully you too!) Keep your head high girl you are almost there! I think she is going to have a beautiful set of hair if that heart burn is so bad!!! ( old wives tale but something to think about everytime it hits and you can imagine how BEAUTIFUL she is going to be and how soon she will be in your arms!! I love you sweetie!!! Thanks for your love and support my way! It means alot!!!

Wende said...

Aly you look absolutely gorgeous and I'm so jealous that you're having a girl! Just smile at the people who say stupid things and hit Devin really hard for me the next time you see him(Honestly! He should SO know better!) Laid back about nurseries and names is good - it's all about YOUR timetable! Hang in there honey, I know exactly how you feel!