Thursday, July 23, 2009

More Summer FUN!

I love going to the fireworks at Weber State every year. Our family has done this for as long as I can remember. And in all that time I cannot think of one year that we have had rain - until this year! We ended up looking like a tent city when the clouds opened up, but thankfully it only lasted for a few minutes and blew right through. **Thankfully they didn't cancel the fireworks, even though maybe they should have. We had burning embers landing on our blankets and were covered in ash by the time they were done, but it was such a great show! ** Also in this picture is the view we have of the Salt Lake valley from Jon's parent's back porch. The other night the sunset was so incredible and I had been reading up on taking pictures in low light, so I wanted to experiment and see what kind of shots I could get.

Over the 4th of July, Jon and I flew into Seattle for the weekend and drove up to Mt. Ranier for a little getaway. Before we were married, Jon climbed this mountain with a group of friends and loved the experience!!! So it was so fun to go back with Jon and semi-relive it with him. And it was the perfect escape from the heat too! It was so gorgeous up there with all of the runoff waterfalls everywhere and the spring flowers poking through. After our stay up there, we drove back into Seattle and caught the ferry up to Victoria, BC. We have been there once before (on our Alaskan cruise) and just love that city! Plus, Becky and Shane were there for a night and we jumped on the chance to hang out with them one last time before we head to New Zealand.

The weekend before the 4th we were in Lake Powell with the Perry family. Trent and Jess are such great friends and we had a fabulous time with them! (Thank you so much for inviting us!!! Can't wait to do it again!) I think Jon and I took a million pictures and videos on the boat, so here are a few of my favorites:

And a few side notes for personal records. Moments I don't want to forget.

~The other night we also went to the Ogden Rodeo to celebrate Pioneer Days. The National Anthem was sung so beautifully and I teared up while trying to sing along. It finally hit me that we will be leaving this land of the free and home of the brave in search of new adventures. And while I am excited, I was also a little saddened to think of all of the things I will miss.

~I went to the Church history museum yesterday with my sister-in-law Jen and her kids and my mother-in-law Leila. We watched a movie about how some of the Saints came across the ocean and then had to also cross the plains, facing death, starvation, and many trials. And while I was trying to think of ways to get out of the 10k I promised Jen I would run with her tomorrow, they told of a widow who walked 4 miles, up rocky terrain, holding a premature infant the whole way, just to make it here. So I guess while I walk/run in my nice comfy Mizunos and work out clothes, carrying a water bottle so I can have a drink whenever I want, and listening to my ipod, I won't complain, but will actually enjoy the opportunity to exercise how and when I want.

7 comments:

LeShel said...

love the pics and the reality moments. Enjoy your run!

Anonymous said...

beautiful pics Aly :) you are always up to something fun, and i love that about you :) i think you live life to the fullest :)

i agree with your comment about the pioneers and just *how *good we have it... it makes me so thankful for the time and place i live in.

at the same time, i am excited for your new adventure!!! most people will never experience that in life, so you HAVE A BLAST!!

i'm glad to see you are still alive and well ;) and it looks as though i just wrote a novel to you..so i'm sotpping now :P

love ya Aly :)

Rockin' Rowes said...

Wow! You guys sure are having lots of fun before leaving America. Good for you guys!

sara and wade said...

yay! great pics aly! it makes me sad to see what we miss out on not being up north with ya... but i'm glad that you guys are rockin the summer and enjoying life. that's what it's all about! can't wait to see ya soon! love ya lots!

amber said...

Thanks for sharing all your beautiful pics Al.... I miss the WSU fireworks every year...They are my favorite!!!

Andrea said...

I had no idea you were a photographer! How awesome! I love your pictures!! It's fun to take a peek into your life and I love how you and your husband are so adventureous!
The books are "Dear Nikolas" and "Lucy-Lu Dimples the Dip Doodles". Both aren't done at the publishers yet but I will let you know when they are.
It was so great to see you at the reunion!!! It made me think of our cabin adventure and all the funny pictures we took. I still have them somewhere....

Bundy Family said...

Your summer sounds like mine- Busy. I'm so glad I got to see you for a brief moment. I hope your 10k went well.