Thursday, January 21, 2010

the Slippery Slope

This post has been in my head for at least 5 days now. It's called the slippery slope because I realized, oh about 5 days ago, that that's exactly what I was on. The slippery slope of hope. Well, I reached the end of the hope slope last night and got an unpleasant slap of reality, which burst my bubble and allowed the tears of disappointment and anger to flow. And because I'm way too analytical, I've broken it all down. Here's the problem:

I didn't come to New Zealand as a fix-it to our infertility problems. I came here to run away from them all. Really, I had hoped they wouldn't follow us here. I was content to leave them in Utah. But there are loving people back home who, bless their well-intentioned hearts, still hope for us and I let them plant little hope seeds in my heart. These people are much stronger than me and put on the happy 'everything will be okay' face for me when I can't. Well, I don't want their hope. (That's not true. Yes, I'm bitter. But mostly I realize that it's my choice to react that way so I'm disappointed in my reaction.) Their hope hurts on an extra 'we have expectations' level.

So, it never crossed my mind that New Zealand could be an elixir until I started clinging to that hope. "Hey, maybe all you need is a new start there to get pregnant." "Hey, maybe there will be something in the water there." "Hey, maybe that 30 day cruise you're taking will be the magic ticket." or "Hey, maybe the island life is the solution." So I dared to hope.

And here's the second and REAL part of the problem: I got carried away in my hope. I started reading into signs way too much. My bloated, uncomfortable stomach? Surely I'm pregnant. My extremely swollen and tender breasts? That's another sign, right? Oh, and this book I just read said that this is another symptom. Got it. And this podcast said this and this article said that. And man, I swear I just feel different. I MUST be pregnant. Yep. I recognized I was on that slippery slope where I had convinced myself I was pregnant, as I had done so many times before. But deep down, in the back of my head and I guess in my heart, I just knew it couldn't be. But I heard my personal cheerleaders telling me that New Zealand would fix it, so I clung to that hope. I even told Jon about it, which sometimes is even worse cause I like to protect others if I can by just keeping things inside (but I'm discovering it's much easier to go through it together).

So my monthly reality check came and I cried. And swore. I cursed those people who dared hope. I cursed myself for clinging too fiercely to that hope. I tasted the bitter disappointment of my tears and wondered why I allowed myself to hope so deeply. Hadn't I learned?!?! After 6 years of the same old thing, why haven't I learned?!? And does the hope ever go away, or is it just a cycle? Cause I really thought I had put it behind me and was over it, content in my life and happy without children for the moment. How did this all happen again?!?!

As Jon and I processed it together and shared some of our most tender and vulnerable thoughts and feelings, I came to the realization that I just can't give up hope yet. Not when I've been promised it. I'm just not there yet. But I have learned that this doesn't need to lead me into a state of deep depression again. I can face it and process it better. I can rebound quicker and continue to focus on the gratitude I feel for where we are in life and what we have been blessed with. I can be grateful for our wonderful family and friends who continue to hope for us when it's so hard to do it ourselves. It's not easy, but I guess it's easier.

I really thought that mimicking this statue in would bring us
blessing from the Tahitian fertility Gods. No??

14 comments:

Katie said...

I am so sorry for you guys, hoping is good and so hard to deal with. My prayers are with you and your ability to control your depression. Much love.

Anonymous said...

Aly, sweet Aly :) You know I love you, right? :) Ever since the day I first met you I have :) Sometimes it is not easy to hear the "hopes" and sometimes it's not easy to hear the "I'm over it's"... at least I would guess that. I realize how *very personal this is... but I think I should share this with you. Not for hope *OR expectations.. but because I love you, and I know that God is very aware of your heartache... My friend, she and her husband tried to have kids... for *nine *years Aly... NINE YEARS. Found out a couple of months ago.. they are due first part of June :) I'm not saying that this is an answer for you, or anything of the sort. What I'm trying to say is, it was in God's time for them. I'm sure that was really really rough on them, or on you and Jon either. I just can't even imagine it, so I won't try to. But He is ever present with you, He has a plan for you, and I believe even though you don't have your own at the moment.. you *are quite the sweet mother in your own right. Between being an aunt, your friends' kids, etc.... they love you :) Sometimes our prayers are answered differently than we hope, or are delayed, but you Aly, are one beautiful, very special woman. And I am *SO proud to know you :) I love you girl :)

LeShel said...

so i cry this evening as i read of your struggle. life sucks. it really does and then sometimes the sun shines and we can feel it and it pulls us through. i hope that you feel some sunshine. cry, scream, sleep, and then feel the sun shine on your back turn and breath. love you!

kate said...

poignant and profound. i think it is powerful that you can go through the same experience at this point in your life and see how much stronger you are at facing it now. and thank you for the reminder that even though it can be easier to keep struggles to ourselves, it really does strengthen us and our relationships to open up to our spouses and work through things together. you inspire me.

Vause Family said...

That last paragraph says it all. Our struggles help us learn and to rebound faster. You are so right to feel whatever you are feeling, but then move on. Thinking of you!

Jessica Snyder said...

Aly,
Thank you for this post. I know it was probably therapeutic for you. But I hope you realize that what you write and the way you open up allows others to go through therapeutic moments of their own. This post made me feel gratitude for the blessings in life that I take for granted far too often. I'm not sure there's anything I can say to make you feel any better, but just know that I do hope you start to climb back up the slope soon. Life is all about the ups and downs- can't have one without the other.
Jessica

Heather B said...

Aw, dang it! Come on fertility gods, cut her a break already! :(
I'm sorry Aly. But the picture is funny. But I'm still sorry about this crappy trial you guys have to go through.

sara and wade said...

sniff sniff my love. i'm thinking of you lots right now. i'm ready to see you and give you a very very large hug and not let go. i sure love you.

Marleepatts said...

“Never let go of hope. One day you will see that it all has finally come together. What you have always wished for has finally come to be. You will look back and laugh at what has passed and you will ask yourself... 'How did I get through all of that?”

Karmann said...

I love that you posted this because I feel like we are going through the same thing together and it is nice to have someone out there that feels the same pain and knows what it is like to have the rollercoaster of hope each month and then the disappointment that follows each month! I feel EVERYTHING you do!!! Everyone has said the same thing to me as we were preparing to move here to WA. As much as I try to let it go each month there is this part of me that hopes and thinks it could be it! I think it is natural beacause we want to be mothers so bad! I too am working on bouncing back after each month my hope is smashed, torn, and pushed away! Trusting in Heavenly Fathers plan for us is so VERY hard! I too have been promised and feel the trial of waiting and enjoying things now is so hard! We can do though! I will continue to pray for you and hope you can feel peace and contentment.....so we both can! I love you sweetie!!!!

Todd, Katie & Averi said...

I am so sorry Aly. I hope you will get prego. I love your picture though.

Em said...

Oh. My heart is aching. You know I love you for your courage to put it all out there and let the people who care about you know how they can reach out to you. It's just hard to get this all in writing and be so far away from you Sis. Forgive my selfishness and pride, it's strange to read this a week after you wrote it and know that other people who are not your big sister heard it first. I'm so grateful that you have such an extensive and effective support system, and that you are taking advantage of a way to express, share, and influence. I love you and hope to talk to you soon.

erin said...

aly, i just want to tell you that there are many, many prayers that have been said on your behalf... not just prayers to grant the righteous desires of your heart to be a mother, but prayers for your happiness. i love you so much, and i'm very happy that you are in new zealand having drunken asian man adventures. big, big hugs.

nate said...

Love you! - - Kelli B. Lunt